AMLC says it has no issues against presidential rebuke
The Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) has no issues regarding President Rodrigo R. Duterte, despite the recent barrage of scolding that council officials got from the Chief Executive for their supposedly uncooperative stance on the probe into suspected drug criminals by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI).
"As far as we're concerned we don't see any, there's no problem," AMLC Executive Director Julia Bacay-Abad told reporters on the sidelines of the central bank's annual reception for the banking community late Tuesday.
Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas Governor Amando Tetangco Jr., who is retiring in July, also sits as the AMLC chairman.
"We're doing our job in accordance with the law and the implementing rules, but if some people are not happy with what we're doing there's nothing we can do about – but we're just doing our job," said Abad.
Last month, Duterte scolded AMLC officials anew for allegedly being uncooperative regarding the documents the government needed in its campaign against illegal drugs. The President labeled them as corrupt and asked them to resign.
The central bank clarified it is a separate entity from the council. “One thing we know, we are not serving politics. The BSP remains an independent agency,” BSP Deputy Governor Diwa C. Guinigundo told reporters at that time.
Last year. Justice Secretary Vitaliano N. Aguirre II said the AMLC was making it difficult for authorities to secure vital bank information in relation to the illegal drug trade inside the New Bilibid Prison.
He also asked the NBI to look into the possibility of pressing charges against the AMLC for obstruction of justice.
Abad said late Tuesday that the process of submitting documents to the NBI is ongoing. She did not elaborate. — VS GMA News Online