ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Lifestyle
Lifestyle

Residents in MacArthur, Leyte barricade dredger over black sand mining concerns


Residents in MacArthur, Leyte barricade dredger over black sand mining concerns

A quiet agricultural town in Leyte has become the site of a standoff between local farmers and a mining corporation.

Jessica Soho flew to the town of MacArthur in Leyte, where there's a ship sitting in the middle of a former rice field.

According to Sunday's report on "Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho," residents of MacArthur have set up a People Power-style barricade to stop the movement of a massive cutter suction dredger (CSD) that has appeared in the middle of their rice fields and coconut groves.

The dredger, owned by MacArthur Iron Projects Corporation (MIPC), was transported from the shoreline and moved about 650 meters inland toward Barangay Maya.

Residents said the vessel is intended for the expansion of black sand or magnetite mining operations in the area. Black sand contains iron ore used in the production of steel for infrastructure, vehicles, and appliances.

"Nu'ng una kong makita nasa laot pa, pero nu'ng ilang araw bumalik ako dito sa dagat, nakita ko na inakyat na nila 'yung barko," a resident said.

["At first, I saw it floating in the open water. But when I returned to the coast days later, I realized they had already moved the ship inland."]

Another resident added, "Sa laki na niyan siguradong may mangyayari dito talaga sa aming bayan."

["Given its sheer size, it's certain that this will have a major impact on our community."]

Some residents have been holding nightly prayer vigils near the barricade.

"Wala kaming pagkain, nakalubog na. Mahirap 'yung kalagayan namin ngayon. Kasi puyat, kinakabahan, 'di kami makatulog, paano makabalik 'yan? Anong gagawin namin? Please. Tulungan n'yo kami," one of them said while crying.

["We have no food; everything is submerged. Our situation right now is so difficult. We're exhausted, we're anxious, we can't sleep—how will things go back to normal? What are we going to do? Please, help us."]

Placards reading "No to Black Sand Mining" were displayed at the site.

MacArthur mining history

Mining activities in MacArthur date back years.

In 2007, the Mines and Geosciences Bureau approved a Mineral Production Sharing Agreement (MPSA) covering parts of Barangay Maya. The MIPC began operating in 2020 under that agreement.

Operations were suspended in 2022 following reported damage to irrigation canals that affected farms. Residents claim rehabilitation has not been completed.

MIPC, however, said there has been no active black sand mining since 2022.

"Ang black sand mining po since 2022 ay wala pong operation hanggang ngayong oras na ito," said Administrative Manager Lawrence Medua.

["Black sand mining has had no operations since 2022... up until this very hour."]

Farmers in Barangay Maya claimed that rice lands have already been affected by previous operations.

Mang Jesus, one of the protest leaders, said they are calling for the complete stoppage of mining operations in the area.

"Malaking perwisyo talaga dahil pinasok 'yung irrigated rice land na katabi mismo ng isang lawa—lawa ng Bito Lake, na kinukunan namin ng araw-araw na kabuhayan," he said.

["This has caused significant damage because it encroached upon irrigated rice fields situated right beside Lake Bito, the primary source of our daily income."]

Patrocinia, a farmer, alleged that part of her rice field was mined without consent in 2021.

"Lumubog po tapos na-mining po nila 'yung kalahati," she said, adding that they filed a complaint but it was dismissed. 

["It submerged, and then they were able to mine half of the area."]

She said that the affected portion of land has not been productive since.

"Hindi po 'yun totoo, Ma'am. 'Yung na-mining nila, hindi naman po puwede taniman ng palay po kasi puro na buhangin. Hindi na po mabubuhay 'yung palay."

["That's not true, Ma'am. As for the area they mined, you can't really plant rice there anymore because it's all sand now. The rice plants won't survive."]

Another farmer, Jenelito, said his harvest dropped from around 500 sacks before mining to fewer than 200 sacks now.

Irrigation canals were also reportedly damaged.

"Yung main canal na dinadaluyan ng irigasyon ay bumagsak po siya hindi na po nagagamit," said Efren.

["The primary irrigation canal has collapsed and is now non-functional."]

Residents also cited the impact on Lake Bito, located less than a kilometer from the mine site.

In 2012, a separate mining firm was suspended after a fish kill that reportedly amounted to 27,000 kilos.

Cielo, who operates a fish pen, said her harvests have declined in recent years.

"Umaabot po ng 500 kilos 'yung nakukuha ko sa isang fish pen. Tapos since 2022, nasa mahigit 100 kilo na lang 'yung nakukuha namin kada harvest," she said.

["I used to get up to 500 kilos from a single fish pen. But since 2022, we've only been getting a little over 100 kilos per harvest."]

"Lugi na po, pero itinutuloy ko pa rin. Wala po kasi kaming ibang puwedeng pagkukuhanan ng pagkain namin."

["We're already losing money, but we keep going anyway. We simply don't have any other way to get food for ourselves."]

What's being done

Leyte Governor Carlos Jericho "Icot" Petilla said the provincial government has requested the suspension of the dredger's operations.

"Ang dredger na 'yan is not a friendly site and is not welcome," he said. "Gagawin namin lahat ng makakaya namin para 'yung dredger na 'yan is umatras."

["That dredger is not a friendly sight and is not welcome," he said. "We will do everything in our power to make sure that dredger backs off."]

The Sangguniang Panlalawigan meanwhile has issued a request to suspend the project.

Medua said pulling out the dredger is one of the company's options.

"Isa pong option namin 'yun na i-pull out. Subalit gusto ko pong linawin na hindi naman ho ganu'n kasimple 'yun. Ito po ay 2,000 tonelada halos 'yung dredger," he said.

["Pulling it out is an option we are considering. But I must clarify that it is not a simple task. This dredger weighs nearly 2,000 tons."]

He added that the company respects the residents' objections, and said the company remains open to dialogue.

"Iginagalang po namin 'yung position nila. Ang kailangan po lang namin ay mabigyan din kami ng pagkakataon na 'yung aming side ay marinig naman."

["We respect where they are coming from... all we ask is to be given a chance to have our side heard too."]

Medua said that previous operations provided employment to local workers, even during the pandemic.

As for foreign workers, he said they have proper permits. "'Yung presensya po ng mga trabahante ay may kaukulang permiso sa Immigration, sa Department of Labor."

["The presence of the workers has the corresponding permits from immigration and the Department of Labor.'"]

He confirmed that the extracted iron ore is for export, and denied allegations linking the company to former House Speaker Martin Romualdez.

"Ang McArthur Iron Projects Corporation po ay pag-aari ng individual na investor at wala pong kinalaman dito ang dating Speaker sa aming kumpanya," he said.

["McArthur Iron Projects Corporation is owned by individual investors, and the former Speaker has no involvement with our company."]

"Laging may chance ang dialogue. Wala ho kami itinatago," he added.

["There is always a chance for dialogue. We have nothing to hide."]

Residents said they will continue their barricade until their concerns are addressed.

"Hanggang hindi kami dinidinig ng gobyerno, hindi kami hihinto," one farmer said.

["We will not stop until the government listens to us."] —JCB, GMA Integrated News