Aboitiz InfraCapital Inc. submitted on Wednesday a P148-billion unsolicited proposal to take over four regional airports from the government under a 35-year concession.
In an emailed statement, the company said its proposal cover the upgrade, expansion, operation, and maintenance of the Iloilo International Airport, the Bacolod-Silay Airport, the Laguindingan Airport, and the New Bohol International Airport.
“The first three are already operating above capacity and require urgent rehabilitation, while New Bohol is eyed to open the island further to the international tourism market as part of the national tourism strategy,” it said.
“The P148-billion multi-phased project aims to transform the facilities into world-class airports every Filipino deserves and can be proud of,” the company noted.
The four airports as well as the Davao Airport were previously planned as a public-private partnership (PPP) venture under the administration of former President Benigno Aquino III.
However, the Department of Transportation scrapped the project last year and said the rehabilitation of the regional airports would instead be implemented via other modes.
“Through this unsolicited proposal, we intend to support the government’s ‘Build, Build, Build’ program as we develop sustainable airport facilities that reflect and support the tremendous economic and tourism potential of the Philippines’ regions and provinces,” Aboitiz InfraCapital president and CEO Sabin Aboitiz said.
According to the company, it could start working on the airports in 2019, with the major upgrades and capacity expansions completed by 2021. That is if it gets original proponent status for the project.
Aboitiz InfraCapital is part of the super consortium of seven of the biggest conglomerates in the country which submitted a P350-billion unsolicited proposal to rehabilitate the Ninoy Aquino International Airport. —Jon Viktor Cabuenas/VDS, GMA News
Filtered By: Money