advertisement
Filtered By: Money
Money

Tessie Sy urges gradual resumption of businesses post-quarantine


Businesses should be allowed to gradually resume at 50% capacity once the lockdown lapses to boost employment opportunities which have been at a standstill due to the coronavirus, business tycoon Teresita Sy-Coson said Sunday.

In an emailed statement, Sy-Coson said that "with all the precaution in place," the  Department of Labor and Employment "can look into gradually increase of employment with gradually increase of businesses."

"If all the industries can start operating 50% including the transport with all the medical precaution like making test kits more available and disinfecting measures and sanitation safeguards, then we can gradually increase the employment including the returning 0FWs  who are adding to our number of unemployment," she elaborated.

The government has already extended the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) placed over Luzon until April 30. It was originally scheduled to end on April 13 after it was implemented on March 17.

The DOLE on Sunday said that over a million workers have been affected by the temporary closures, the highest displacement recorded in Metro Manila with 246,810 workers hit as of Saturday, April 11, 2020.

"Employment is also the key to the health of their family by having enough food for their own immunity and the key to the health of our economy," said Sy-Coson.

As of April 12, 2020, the Philippines has so far recorded a total of 4,648 confirmed cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). This includes 197 recoveries, and 297 deaths. — Jon Viktor D. Cabuenas/BM, GMA News

LOADING CONTENT