The Federation of International Cable TV Associates of the Philippines (FICTAP) on Tuesday lauded the National Telecommunications Commission's cease and desist order against ABS-CBN Corporation and claimed that the broadcasting giant was killing the cable TV industry in the country.
In an interview on 24 Oras, FICTAP president Estrellita Juliano-Tamano said that the network's TVplus black box, which offers multiple channels, may drive out micro, small and medium cable operators.
"[P]ero naman ang ginagawa naman nila, 'yung ginagwa nila ngayon ay siyang pumapatay sa cable TV industry," Tamano, who has been vocal against the network's franchise renewal, said.
"Kaya pinaglalaban namin 'yan, ayaw naming mabura 'yung micro, small and medium cable operators, members namin nationwide, na mawawalan ng hanapbuhay dahil diyan sa ginagawa nilang TVplus na wala man lang prangkisa," she added.
ABS-CBN in a previous statement has maintained that "all its broadcast offerings [...] have received the necessary government and regulatory approvals."
FICTAP aired the comment after ABS-CBN said it will stop operations with the NTC's order, issued after its legislative franchise expired on Monday, May 4.
The NTC previously said that it would grant the network a provisional authority to allow its continued operations. However, the Office of the Solicitor General on Monday warned NTC officials that they may face charges should they do so.
An NTC executive has since stated that the Solicitor General's warning had nothing to do with the commission's decision.
ABS-CBN News Channel (ANC) said it will remain on air and that it is not covered by the cease and desist order. — Joahna Lei Casilao/BM, GMA News