The Philippine government must look into more assistance programs for small businesses, the ACE Center for Entrepreneurship and Management Education Inc. said, as such businesses will not be able to immediately totally resume operations once quarantine protocols are lifted.
According to ACE Center chairman Eduardo Morato Jr., the administration -- through the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) and the Social Security System (SSS) -- should look into increasing assistance for micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
"Siguro talaga pag-aralan natin papaano makakagalaw ang SSS, GSIS, at mga ahensya kung papaano talaga maaring tumulong sa mga empleyado," he said during the Laging Handa virtual briefing on Wednesday.
The Department of Finance (DOF) last month unveiled a P51-billion wage subsidy program for employees of small businesses affected by lockdowns to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Metro Manila and other "high-risk" areas have been on lockdown since March 17, with the enhanced community quarantine in several areas extended twice until May 15.
"Hindi naman full operations ang mga negosyo mas ma-lift na 'yung ating quarantine. Maghihinay hinay ang mga tao sa pagpasok sa mga establisyimento," said Morato.
"Dahil diyan, limitado ang mga empleyado ng kukunin ng mga MSMEs," he elaborated. — Jon Viktor D. Cabuenas/RSJ, GMA News