Filtered By: News
News
‘TOO EARLY’

Duterte thumbs down lockdown for Metro Manila over COVID-19


President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said he was not for now inclined to impose a lockdown on Metro Manila to control the spread of the coronavirus disease.

“We have not reached that kind of contamination,” Duterte told reporters in Malacañang after his meeting national and local government officials on the response to the contagion.

“There will be a time, I suppose, I hope not. I hope God will have mercy on the Filipino people. It’s too early.”

Duterte admitted that a lockdown will hamper the flow of basic commodities.

Albay Representative Joey Salceda earlier proposed a one-week lockdown of the National Capital Region (NCR) to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.

In particular, Salceda suggested the suspension of classes, work stoppages, no bus trips, no domestic flights, and closure of South Luzon Expressway and North Luzon and Expressway and railways during the lockdown period.

The Department of Health said Monday that no lockdown will be enforced until it has confirmed cases of "sustained community transmission" in the Philippines.

The country has so far 24 confirmed cases, according to Duterte. —NB, GMA News