The Department of Health on Wednesday night confirmed reports that a Filipino COVID-19 patient has died in Manila.
In a statement, the DOH said the fatality was identified as Patient 35, a 67-year-old female who was confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital.
The DOH said the patient began manifesting COVID-19 symptoms on February 29.
She was confirmed to have had the disease on Wednesday.
The DOH is still looking into her area of residence.
Patient 35 was the Philippines’ second COVID-19 fatality. A 44-year-old Chinese male succumbed after being tested positive for the disease in early February.
49 confirmed cases
Patient 35 was among the 16 confirmed COVID-19 that the DOH announced earlier on Wednesday.
The new cases brought the Philippines' total number of COVID-19 cases to 49.
Health Assistant Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said health authorities were tracing the contacts of the confirmed cases.
Vergeire said eight of the 49 cases, including two repatriates from the coronavirus-hit Diamond Princess cruise ship, were in stable condition at various hospitals across the country. —NB, GMA News