Makati Medical Center on Tuesday said it would no longer accept coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients for confinement as they have already reached maximum capacity.
“After a thorough review of our bed capacity (particularly the Critical Care units), workforce availability, and supply of vital infection prevention equipment, and in consultation with our respective medical teams and the Management, we regret to inform you that Makati Medical Center has now reached full capacity,” MMC said in a statement.
While MMC has expanded its physical and manpower capability to admit more patients, hospital management said it is currently caring for almost 70 patients infected with the virus, including some of its frontline physicians, nurses, technicians and nursing aides.
“MMC has reached its threshold in its capability to respond to more COVID-19 cases. As such, we can no longer extend the same degree of care and attention for any additional admission for COVID-19 cases.”
MMC, however, said its emergency department will try to give patients preliminary evaluation and treatment, but cannot guarantee a room for admission.
“We will exert every effort to find you another healthcare facility of your choice (and ours).”
MMC joins a growing number of hospitals across the metropolis that have been hit by the continued rise of new COVID-19 cases in the country, including the University of Santo Tomas Hospital, The Medical City and St. Luke’s Medical Center.
The Philippines has so far recorded 552 COVID-19 cases including 35 deaths. -Ma. Angelica Garcia/NB, GMA News