advertisement
Filtered By: News
News

Duterte to visit Jolo blast site


President Rodrigo Duterte is set to visit the blast site in Jolo, Sulu later today after the town was rocked by twin explosions last week.

Duterte made the announcement in an appearance during the "Singing for the President" online concert event this afternoon.

"I’m going to Jolo, diretso ako ngayon sa Jolo, doon sa blast site. Mabigyan ko lang ang mga sandalo natin, mga sundalo ko, mga pulis ko ng importansya sa kanilang kamatayan," he said.

"I’ll go there to fulfill the duty of a commander in chief," he added.

Malacañang earlier condemned the deadly explosions in Jolo, Sulu as it urged the public to remain vigilant.

“We condemn in the strongest possible terms the explosion incidents in Jolo, Sulu today, which left scores dead and wounded, including soldiers. We likewise condole with the families and loved ones of those who died in these tragic incidents,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said.

“We call on the residents of Jolo to stay vigilant and report suspicious personalities and unattended items in their areas,” he added.

The twin bomb attacks on August 24 left 15 people dead and 74 others wounded, according to JTF Sulu.

The bombings were perpetrated by two female suicide bombers, the military said.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines assured the public it is committed to secure the country against terrorism and all other threats, as it lauded the bravery of its frontliners.

"The AFP lauds all our frontline personnel who continue to step up and lead the charge to keep our communities safe, even at the risk of their own lives," AFP chief Gilbert Gapay said. — Erwin Colcol/BM, GMA News

Tags: joloblasts, news
LOADING CONTENT