Filtered By: News
Pneumonia and stress may have contributed to the death of Lolong, which until its death earlier this month held a world record for being the biggest crocodile in captivity.
This was part of the initial findings of the necropsy, which were relayed to Environment Secretary Ramon Paje, radio dzBB reported early Wednesday.
In its preliminary findings, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources' Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau said Lolong, like other saltwater crocodiles, may usually swim in the Agusan Marsh.
But it said that when Lolong was brought to an enclosed area, it could not swim and may have developed complications.
The dzBB report quoted the PAWB study as saying Lolong may have even bit at the cement in its enclosure due to pressure.
A separate report on "Saksi" said the study theorized Lolong may have started developing complications after it was moved to an enclosed park.
"Lumalabas sa necropsy nag-complication ng cardiac arrest and pneumonia. Ang analysis namin is really too much stress," Paje said.
A DENR news release posted on the Official Gazette website said it may need at least two weeks before it can get the result of the necropsy on Lolong.
It quoted Paje as saying the necropsy report will be made public once it is released by the University of the Philippines-Los Baños College of Veterinary Medicine.
“The necropsy is just the initial step in determining the cause of Lolong’s death. There are still several studies to be done, and the results could be out in as early as two weeks, but may take longer,” Paje said.
Paje also appealed to the public and the media to refrain from speculating over the cause of Lolong’s death pending the result of the necropsy.
PAWB Director Theresa Mundita Lim said the tissue samples from Lolong’s vital organs were sent to UPLB-CVM for histopathological evaluation.
“The study will determine any illnesses Lolong may have had that may or may not have led to his death, and how long he may have had them. It is a long, painstaking process that cannot be rushed to ensure accurate results,” she said.
Lim also belied reports that Lolong died after having ingested nylon rope.
“The team did not find any foreign objects in his stomach, save for a few small pebbles which are usually present among crocodiles that feed in the wild,” she said. —KG, GMA News