248 Filipinos affected by 7.8-magnitude Turkey quake —envoy
At least 248 Filipinos in Turkey were affected by the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit the said country and Syria on Monday, according to the Philippine Embassy on Tuesday.
Interviewed on GMA News’ Unang Balita, Ambassador Maria Elena Algabre said so far, there have been no reported Filipino casualties due to the quake.
“Ang mga Pilipino na 248 na nasa region na 'yun ay apektado kasi po marami pong building ang nasalanta, walang electricity, malamig, umuulan,” she said.
(Two hundred forty-eight Filipinos in that region were affected because many buildings were damaged, there was no electricity, and it was cold and raining.)
“May mga Filipinos po na umalis sa kanilang mga building kasi hindi safe at gumuho, na nasa shelter. Yung iba po kinupkop ng mga kaibigan na nasa safer na lugar,” she added.
(There were Filipinos who left their buildings because it was not safe and damaged, who were staying in shelters. Some of them were staying in the house of their friends in safer areas.)
Algabre said at least 78 aftershocks — some as strong as the initial earthquake — were felt in the affected region.
Around 9,000 search and rescue personnel were deployed to save victims of the earthquake, according to Algabre. Many countries also extended help for the search and rescue operations.
The Turkey government has provided 300,000 blankets and deployed mobile kitchens for the victims, she added.
According to a Reuters report, around 3,700 people were reported dead in Tukiye and Syria due to the earthquake.
Some 11 provinces were affected by earthquake, Algabre said in a separate interview on Dobol B TV, adding that the supply of water in some areas was also interrupted.
The Philippine government has already expressed readiness to help in the aftermath of the earthquake.
"Our thoughts and prayers go to the peoples and governments of Türkiye and Syria following the strong earthquake that has claimed many lives and caused massive destruction to their countries," said President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.
"The Philippines is ready to help in whatever way it can in responding to this disaster." —KBK, GMA Integrated News