Filtered By: Pinoyabroad
Pinoy Abroad

3rd Filipino fatality in Israel being confirmed —official


The Philippine Embassy in Israel on Wednesday said it is trying to confirm the possibility of a third Filipino fatality in the attacks by Hamas militants on Israel.

Authorities are trying to confirm this through DNA testing, according to  Deputy Chief of Mission Anthony Mandap.

"There are two confirmed [dead] and one for confirmation," Deputy Chief of Mission Anthony Mandap told GMA News Online.

"Can't say Filipino until the body is identified," he added.

This was echoed by Vice Consul Patricia Narajos during a Palace press briefing. "There are two confirmed deaths and one reported death but this is subject to confirmation by DNA evidence," she said.

Narajos said 26 Filipinos have been rescued amid the attacks but three are still missing.

"There are still three missing and 26 having rescued so far. There is one injured person, recovering po siya ngayon [who is now recovering] at the hospital. He's doing well and underwent surgery and he's fine," Narajos said.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) earlier confirmed that two Filipinos were among those killed in the armed conflict between Israeli forces and Hamas militants. 

“The Philippines condemns the killing of two Filipino nationals and all other acts of terrorism and violence as a result of Hamas actions against Israel,” DFA Secretary Enrique Manalo said on X (formerly Twitter).

The Philippine Embassy in Israel said the two fatalities were killed in Kibbutz on the first day of the attack. Their families requested not to disclose their identities and the circumstances of their deaths.

Ambassador to Israel Pedro Laylo Jr. said President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. would talk to the grieving families of the victims on Wednesday to send his sympathies.

The Embassy said the fatalities were a 33-year-old female from Pangasinan, who was working in Israel for six years, and a 42-year-old male from Pampanga.

Marcos was saddened over the death of two Filipinos amid the ongoing conflict in Israel.

In a statement, the President also denounced the violence and terror attacks in the country as he vowed to continue supporting affected Filipinos. —with Michaela del Callar/KBK, GMA Integrated News

 

LOADING CONTENT