The summer heat can easily make one thirsty and dehydrated. And while there’s plenty of cool summer drinks that can beat the heat, these coolers are often full of sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.
To help quench your thirst sans the guilty feeling afterwards, “Pinoy MD” lists down recipes for affordable and healthy summer coolers:
Green smoothie with peanuts
1 cup of sliced ripe mangoes
1 cup of sliced cucumber
1 tbsps. of nuts
1 tbsps. of calamansi juice
¾ cup of apple juice
½ cup of ice
1. Put the ripe mangoes in the blender.
2. Pour the cup of cucumber.
3. Pour the calamansi juice and apple juice.
4. Add the nuts.
5. Lastly, add the ½ cup of ice and blend the ingredients.
Health benefits: Mangoes have a high fiber content that can help remove bad cholesterol. Cucumbers are 95 percent water so it hydrates the body while also removing toxins.
Calamansi is rich in vitamin C. Aside from being refreshing, it helps the body be immune from diseases. Apples, meanwhile, are rich in antioxidants, fiber and vitamin C.
Cost: P89 for 3 to 4 persons
2 tbsps. of honey
1. Slice the melon and remove the seeds.
2. Place the seeds in a cup and using a spoon or fork, mash it to get the juice.
3. Mix the juice from the seeds with honey.
4. Grate the melon meat using a fork.
5. Mix the grated melon meat with the juice and add ice.
Health benefits: Melons have collagen that can help in making our skin smooth and firm.
Cost: P45 for 3-4 persons
1 cup of chocolate milk
1 glass of milk
1. Pour the chocolate into an ice cube.
2. Place the ice cube tray in the freezer
3. After the chocolate cubes solidify, mix it with the glass of milk.
Health benefits: Milk and chocolates are rich in calcium that can help strengthen our bones.
–Bernice Sibucao/CM, GMA News