Signal No. 3 up in 5 Bicol, E. Visayas areas as Ambo intensifies further
Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal (TCWS) No. 3 was raised over five areas in Bicol and Eastern Visayas region on Thursday as Typhoon Ambo further intensified, state weather bureau PAGASA said.
“Heavy to intense with at times torrential rains over Samar Provinces. Moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over Sorsogon, Albay, Catanduanes, Masbate, and the rest of Eastern Visayas,” PAGASA said.
Metro Manila, meanwhile, where most cases of COVID-19 infections were recorded, is under TCWS No. 1.
In an 8 a.m. bulletin, PAGASA said the following areas were placed under TCWS:
- the eastern section of Albay (Legazpi City,Manito,Daraga,Camalig,Jovellar,Santo Domingo,Bacacay,Rapu-Rapu)
- Northern Samar
- the northern portion of Eastern Samar (Jipapad, Arteche, Maslog, Dolores, Oras, San Policarpio, Can-avid, Taft, Sulat, San Julian, Borongan City)
- the northern portion of Samar (Calbayog City, Sta. Margarita, Gandara, Pagsanghan, San Jorge, Matuguinao, San Jose de Buan)
Signal No. 2
- The southeastern portion of Quezon (Tagkawayan, Guinayangan, Buenavista, San Narciso, Mulanay, San Andres, San Francisco),
- Camarines Norte,
- Camarines Sur,
- the rest of Albay,
- Burias Island
- the northern portion of mainland Masbate (Aroroy, Baleno, Masbate City, Mobo, Uson, Dimasalang, Palanas, Cataingan, Pio V. Corpuz)
- the rest of Samar
- the rest of Eastern Samar
Signal No. 1
- southern portion of Aurora (Baler, San Luis, Dingalan)
- the southern portion of Nueva Ecija (Bongabon, Gabaldon, General Tinio, Laur, San Leonardo, Peñaranda, Gapan City)
- Metro Manila
- the rest of Quezon
- eastern portion of Romblon (Banton, Corcuera, Calatrava, San Agustin, Romblon, Magdiwang, San Fernando, Cajidiocan)
- northern portion of Leyte (Calubian, San Isidro, Tabango, Villaba, Leyte, Kananga, Capoocan, Carigara, Barugo, SanMiguel, Babatngon, Tunga, Jaro,Alangalang, Sta. Fe,Tacloban City, Palo, Pastrana, Dagami, Tabontabon,Tanauan,Tolosa,Ormoc City,Matagob, Palompon, Merida, Isabel , Albuena, Barauen, Julita, Dulag)
PAGASA said Ambo -- which is packing maximum sustained winds of up to 155 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 190 km/h, and moving westward at 15 km/h -- may make landfall over Northern Samar or the northern portion of Eastern Samar on Thursday afternoon or early evening before heading toward Sorsogon.
Residents in affected areas are advised to take appropriate measures, coordinate with local disaster risk reduction and management offices, and continue monitoring for rainfall updates.
PAGASA warned of possible flooding and rain-induced landslides in highly to very highly susceptible areas during heavy or prolonged rainfall.
On Friday, heavy to intense with at times torrential rains are expected over Bicol Region, while moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over Northern Samar, Quezon, Aurora, Marinduque, and Romblon.
“Violent winds and heavy to torrential rains of the eyewall region will begin affecting Northern Samar and the northern portions of Samar and Eastern Samar in the next 12 hours,” PAGASA said.
Storm surge of 1.0 to 3.0 meters may be experienced over the coastal areas of Northern Samar, Eastern Samar (east coast), Samar (west coast), Sorsogon, Albay, Catanduanes, Camarines Sur, Camarines Norte, Quezon, and Aurora, PAGASA warned.
PAGASA stressed the storm surge may cause potentially life-threatening coastal inundation.
“Sea travel is risky for all types of seacrafts over the seaboards of areas under TCWS,” it added.
PAGASA said Ambo may further intensify before landfall. --KBK, GMA News