Rhian Ramos' mom questions VACC for supporting driver who allegedly stole private photos
Rhian Ramos' mother, Clara Ramos, questioned the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) for helping the actress's driver who allegedly stole private photos from her condo unit.
On Instagram, Clara spoke about the issue surrounding Rhian, Michelle Dee, and Samantha Panlilio, who were accused of illegally detaining the driver.
"I don't understand VACC's support for a lying thief. Nagpa-interview pa left and right, dishing out unverified information," she said.
"It has helped fuel this social media frenzy, leaving the ones stolen from and betrayed to be victimized even more by depraved imaginations with stories morphing like cancer," she added.
Other Stories
Clara also defended Rhian.
"Watching the internet tear my daughter apart for things she didn't do. She doesn't deserve this," she said. "Sure, through the years we know bashers will bash, but this? This is brutal, and whoever's running this show is sick!"
In an interview with "Fast Talk with Boy Abunda" on Monday, VACC President Boy Evangelista said he understands Clara's sentiments as a father himself, but he stands by their decision to help Totoy (not his real name).
He said he cross-examined Totoy for two hours before deciding to assist him before the NBI.
"Alias Totoy has no lawyer or legal counsel. Totoy has no voice. His story cannot be heard in contrast to the accused who (are represented by) a law firm fully equipped with legal wisdom," Evangelista said.
"VACC under my leadership has the duty to speak in behalf of a victim complainant just to equalize the playing field against the powerful rich and famous and lots of social media followers," he added.
Evangelista also said that VACC is "mandated to protect (and) defend someone like Totoy who is obviously the underdog."
VACC is a non-profit, non-political, non-government organization that helps victims of crime and corruption.
In a "24 Oras" report on Monday, Totoy denied possessing the last of the 10 missing photos he was accused of stealing.
He admitted that he had nine of the missing photos, but he has since returned them. Per Totoy, he was unaware that these were photos, as these had simply gotten mixed in with his belongings.
He further denied allegations that he intended to make money from and conceal evidence.
In a message to GMA News Online on Monday, Abraham-Garduque also confirmed that a qualified theft case against Totoy has been refiled last week with the Makati City Prosecutor’s Office after the first complaint filed by Dee was dismissed.
Totoy, 40, filed a complaint before the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) against Rhian, Michelle, Samantha, two of Michelle's bodyguards, and members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) for alleged illegal detention and assault.
He claimed that on January 17, he was forcibly brought to Ramos and Dee’s condo unit, where he was told to admit that he stole an angpao with sensitive pictures from the condo unit.
Totoy alleged that he was locked in the condo unit for three days while reportedly getting assaulted by Dee’s bodyguards and that she and Ramos also beat him up. He claimed that Panlilio also allegedly assaulted him.
Rhian and Michelle's legal counsel, Atty. Maggie Abraham-Garduque, denied that the two were involved in the alleged mauling and illegal detention of Totoy.
In a video statement sent to “Fast Talk with Boy Abunda,” the lawyer cited Dee's travel records and the results of Totoy's inquest medical examination.
She called the allegations “physically impossible.”
“Physically impossible and also incredible kasi based on the allegation of the driver, nangyari daw ‘yung alleged mauling and illegal detention January 17 to 19. So ‘yun ‘yung mga period na sinabi niya. However, records would show na si Michelle Dee was in Iloilo noong buong araw ng January 17 and she was able to go back to Manila only on January 18,” Abraham-Garduque said.
Per Abraham-Garduque, they have documents and materials to support this, including plane tickets and posts showing Dee’s presence in Iloilo.
It was also said that Dee confronted Totoy about the missing photos when she got home from Iloilo in the early morning of January 18. She filed a blotter that same day against him in Barangay Urdaneta, Makati City, after he allegedly hurt her, resulting in bruises and scratches.
—Nika Roque/MGP, GMA Integrated News