Mike Phillips granted full local status by FIBA for Gilas Pilipinas, says SBP
The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) bared that Mike Phillips has been classified as a local player by the international basketball body, clearing him to play for Gilas Pilipinas in all FIBA tournaments without restrictions.
SBP announced the development on Saturday as the former La Salle big man is now eligible to wear the national team colors in high-level competitions.
"It’s a blessing and a huge honor to officially be eligible to represent the Philippines. The opportunity to play for the national team is a longtime dream and an answered prayer! I’m beyond grateful to FIBA, the SBP, and everyone who supported this process,” said Phillips through SBP's statement.
“Handa na po akong lumaban para sa ating bansa! Ibibigay ko lahat ng kaya ko at ang buong puso ko! I cannot wait to compete alongside my fellow Filipinos as we continue pushing Philippine basketball forward.
Phillips has suited up for Gilas Pilipinas in the past, joining a stacked national team during the 2023 Southeast Asian Games in Cambodia. During that run, Phillips helped the Filipinos fend off host Cambodia in the finals to deliver the gold medal.
In that same year, the 6-foot-8 bruiser also helped the Green Archers win the UAAP Season 86 title before ending his collegiate career as a champion once more, steering La Salle to Season 88 crown last year.
He was also initially listed for Gilas Pilipinas last year for the Southeast Asian Games, but changes in eligibility requirements kept him from joining, which also coincided with La Salle's UAAP campaign.
SBP, however, has yet to reveal whether Phillips will be included in the pool that will see action in the upcoming FIBA World Cup Asian Qualifiers later this month.
Gilas Pilipinas is currently preparing for the second window where the Filipinos will take on New Zealand on February 26 and Australia on March 1.
—JKC, GMA Integrated News