PBA, PFL delay return to training as NCR reverts to MECQ
The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) and the Philippines Football League (PFL) have delayed their return to practice after the government placed Metro Manila and other provinces under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
In a phone interview with GMA News Online, PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said the league will adjust its training period and players testing for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) once the MECQ period ends on August 18.
Marcial said the league is on track with its schedule and the PBA Board of Governors will still meet in September for the decision on the fate of the league's 45th season.
"Sana makalaro tayo by October, kaya ko hanggang second week ng October," said the commissioner. "Pero kasi dapat may practice ka pa ng isang buwan. Sana maka-practice tayo ng [August] 18, tapos by September, maka-scrimmage pa tayo nang kaunti, okay pa tayo."
Marcial said the PBA Board will review any request from teams who may want to conduct training in non-MECQ areas. However, moving the games outside Metro Manila is not an option.
"'Yung game hindi talaga maililipat sa ibang lugar 'yun. Baka 'yung ibang teams, mag-ano ng practices sa ibang lugar, di natin alam. Tingnan natin kung anong proposal ng teams," he said.
In the PFL, the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) announced it will also delay training following the government's decision.
"PFF exhorts everyone to observe best practices in combating COVID-19, cooperate with local and national authorities, and be safe and healthy during the on-going state of public health emergency in the country," the PFF said in its website.
The government approved the return to practice of basketball and football in July. The Games and Amusement Board gave the green light last week through the Joint Administrative Order with the Department of Health and the Philippine Sports Commission. —MGP, GMA News