ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Traffic heavy in Cubao, Balintawak as New Year exodus, preparations peak


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
Traffic along parts of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (EDSA) in Quezon City grew heavy from Thursday night to early Friday as the New Year exodus began to peak. Contributing to the traffic congestion was the large number of marketgoers at Balintawak Market early Friday, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said on its Twitter account.
 
"(Balintawak) Market is congested, that is causing heavy traffic, Cubao is also affected by volume of passengers going to the province," the MMDA said early Friday.
 
On Thursday night, the MMDA issued an advisory that traffic at the area between North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) and Balintawak was moderate to heavy "due to the volume of vehicles."   
It also said traffic at the northbound and southbound areas near Cubao was heavy, "dahil sa dami ng pasaherong pauwi sa probinsya." 
 
The MMDA noted the number coding scheme for the day is lifted throughout Metro Manila as Friday is a holiday, Rizal Day.
 
On the other hand, MMDA Metrobase's Jude Trinidad said in a dzBB interview that some vendors set up makeshift stalls at sidewalks near the Balintawak Market. He said the MMDA will deploy sidewalk units to the area to address the congestion there.
 
Filipinos started flocking to bus terminals, air and sea ports late Thursday to get to their home provinces so they can welcome the New Year with their families.
 
Security had been tightened at the transport terminals since late Thursday, according to a report on dzBB radio.
 
Also, many Filipinos were expected to go to markets to buy food items for the Media Noche (New Year’s Eve dinner). –KG, GMA News