The chairpersons of some barangays in Metro Manila were issued show cause orders by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) for their alleged failure to implement the guidelines of the enhanced community quarantine.
According to Darlene Cay’s Wednesday report on 24 Oras, the DILG already received about 2,000 complaints from residents against their local officials.
The allegations range from failure to implement social distancing, stop cockfighting, failure to disperse crowds at public markets, and distribute relief goods.
“Paulit-ulit ‘yong complaint na narereceive namin. Kasi dito sa DILG, mayroon kaming Emergency Operations Center at diyan binibigay lahat ng reklamo sa buong Pilipinas. Thirty-seven days na kaming umiikot, 37 days na naming viniverify, validate tapos minomonitor ‘tong mga reklamong ‘to,” Interior Undersecretary Martin Diño said.
The chairpersons of Barangay Payatas and Batasan Hills in Quezon City were among the recipients of the show cause order by the Office of the undersecretary for Barangay Affairs.
Diño said the barangay chairpersons were liable in implementing quarantine protocols as mandated in the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act.
Under the law, local officials who fail to do so will be arrested, fined and may face perpetual disqualification.
Barangay Payatas chairman Manny Guarin denied the allegation, saying they are strictly implementing precautionary measures against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
He added that there are some residents who violate the guidelines.
“‘Di totoo na ‘di tayo nagpapatupad niyan. Halos nakita mo naman ang aming area of responsibility (pero) pabalik-balik po eh. ‘Pag sinuway mo today, mamaya maya nandiyan nanaman,” he said.
Guarin also said he already talked to Diño that he wants members of the military to enforce the quarantine protocol in their barangay.
Meanwhile, Barangay Batasan Hills chairman Jojo Abad said his office is doing its best to implement quarantine protocol.
“Lahat naman po ginagawa ng barangay. Pinapasunod natin (‘yong mga residente),” he said.
In Malabon City, Barangay Tonsuya had been warned four times by the DILG because residents were allegedly holding a cockfighting derby.
“‘Di ho namin kinukunsinte ‘yong ganoon dahil talagang inaagapan namin ‘yan,” barangay chairman Filemon Villanueva said.
In Caloocan City, some residents of Barangay 12 complained they have not received relief goods.
“Tuloy-tuloy ang aming pagbibigay. Walang katotohanan po ‘yan,” barangay chairman Alfredo Dacles said.
Diño said all the recipients of the show cause orders have to explain the reason administrative charges should not be filed against them. -- Ma. Angelica Garcia/BAP, GMA News