All 17 mayors in the National Capital Region have agreed to maintain the general community quarantine (GCQ) status in Metro Manila in June, Parañaque City Mayor Edwin Olivarez said Monday.
Interviewed on Dobol B TV, Olivarez, chairperson of the Metro Manila Council, said the NCR mayors came up with the recommendation during a meeting last week.
“Ang pinagkasunduan po namin doon, consensus po ang recommendation po natin mag-retain po tayo sa GCQ itong darating na June 1,” he said.
(We have agreed to retain the GCQ this coming June 1.)
Olivarez said they also recommended to the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) to allow more businesses as well as meetings, incentives, conventions, and exhibitions or “MICE” activities in the incoming month.
NCR Plus, composed of Metro Manila and nearby provinces of Laguna, Cavite, Bulacan and Rizal, is under GCQ “with heightened restrictions” from May 15 to May 31.
Earlier, Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairperson Benjamin Abalos Jr. said the mayors are also proposing to increase the allowed capacity in establishments.
On Wednesday, the OCTA Research group also recommended retaining the GCQ status of NCR Plus, saying while COVID-19 cases in these areas have decreased, “the numbers are still high.”
“While we believe that we can relax restrictions, we think that we should try to retain the GCQ at this time because the cases are still significant,” OCTA fellow Prof. Guido David said. — RSJ, GMA News