Transport groups have sought a temporary restraining order against several local ordinances related to the no-contact apprehension policy in five cities in the National Capital Region, the Supreme Court confirmed Tuesday.
High Court spokesperson Brian Hosaka told reporters that groups Kapit, Pasang Masda, Altodap, and the Alliance of Concerned Transport Organizations filed a petition for certiorari with the Supreme Court on August 3.
“I would like to confirm that a Petition for Certiorari with application for a Temporary Restraining Order was filed with the SC on August 3, 2022,” he said.
Hosaka said the petition was filed against the City of Manila, Quezon City, Valenzuela, City, Parañaque City, Muntinlupa City, and the Land Transportation Office (LTO), questioning local ordinances regarding the implementation of the no-contact apprehension program.
“The Court has required the respondents to file their respective comments to the said petition and application for TRO within a non-extendible period of 10 days from receipt of the written notice from the Court,” Hosaka said.
The LTO has previously called on local government to temporarily suspend the implementation of the policy with chief Teofilo Guadiz III calling on the mayors of the five cities to sit down with the LTO and MMDA to create uniform guidelines.
Some mayors, however, have already voiced their opposition to the proposed suspension of the policy. — RSJ, GMA News