One of the 2 suspects in killing of New Zealand national identified — SPD
One of the two suspects behind the killing of a New Zealand tourist has been identified, Southern Police District (SPD) director Police Brigadier General John Kirby Kraft said Thursday.
The alleged gunman was identified as John Mar Manalo, a resident of Taguig City.
Victim Nicholas Peter "Nick" Stacey was shot while trying to help his girlfriend who was being held up by a riding-in-tandem in Makati City on Sunday.
Four witnesses — including the victim’s girlfriend — positively identified Manalo through a rogue gallery presented by the city police.
“Para sa kaalaman ng lahat mayroon din po siyang standing warrant of arrest sa Bulacan. Ang kanyang kaso ay robbery with violence against or intimidation of persons,” Kraft told reporters in a media briefing.
(For everyone’s information, the suspect has a standing warrant of arrest in Bulacan. His case is robbery with violence or intimidation of persons.)
“Kahit wala pa po ‘yung warrant sa pagkakapaslang sa dayuhang New Zealander, mayroon po siyang existing warrant of arrest. Maaari po siyang arestuhin anumang oras basta maituturo lang ng ating mga kababayan,” he said.
(Even without the warrant of arrest for this case, he may be arrested anytime after we locate him.)
Kraft added the SPD is putting up a P500,000 reward to anyone who can share information that would lead to Manalo’s arrest.
“Nananawagan kami sa ating mga kababayan na tulungan ang mga kapulisan upang madaling ma-solve ang pagpatay sa isang turista na New Zealander. Ito na po ang ating suspect na-identify na po. Kailangan na lang po magturo kung saan nagtatago. Huwag po kayong mag-alala magiging confidential ang impormasyon lalo na ang identity,” he said.
(We call on the public to help the police in resolving this case. We have already identified the suspect. We just need to know his location. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any information. We assure you everything will be confidential including your identities.)
The SPD chief called on Manalo to voluntarily surrender, adding this would be better for his case.
Stacey went to the Philippines to visit his Filipina girlfriend. He succumbed to a gunshot wound on his left chest Sunday evening after being gunned down by motorcycle-riding thieves that victimized him and his girlfriend along Filmore street in Barangay Palanan.
The Department of Tourism has since condemned the killing.
Makati City Police chief Colonel Edward Cutiyog said they are already coordinating with the New Zealand embassy for the repatriation of the victim’s remains to his country.
“Hinihintay na lang po namin kung ano ang decision ng family. Kung pupunta po ba sila dito para kunin ang bangkay...So far, pina-process po natin sa Embassy ang mga documents na pwedeng gamitin para maipadala sa New Zealand,” he said.
(We’re awaiting the decision of the victim’s family if they will go here in the Philippines. So far, we’re processing the necessary documents for the possible repatriation of his remains.)
Meanwhile, Kraft said the safety of tourists in Southern Metro Manila remains their priority as the New Zealand government cautioned its citizens currently in the Philippines following the tragic incident.
“Di naman kami tumitigil. ‘Pag may nabibiktima na turista…inaaksyunan agad natin kaya 'wag po mag-alala. Patuloy na nagpoprotekta ang ating mga kasamahan sa SPD particularly sa Makati City,” he added.
(We’re not stopping. We take action to help tourists who are victimized in the country. We, in the SPD, will continue to protect them.)—AOL, GMA Integrated News