ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

NBI arrests 8 Chinese for illegal detention, alleged POGO hub


The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Monday announced the arrest of eight Chinese nationals in connection with serious illegal detention and the operation of a suspected POGO hub in Ayala, Alabang.

According to National Capital Region Director Joel Tovera, the operation began after a Chinese national filed a complaint that his friend had been held captive for about two weeks in the area.

“The victim was able to send a distress call and message to the complainant, which reached us,” Tovera said in a press briefing.

The rescue operation led to the victim being freed and the arrest of two individuals directly identified by the victim as the perpetrators.

“The victim identified them as those who hurt him, pointed a gun at him, and electrocuted him,” Tovera added.

The two have since been presented for inquest, and a serious illegal detention complaint has been filed against them.

Meanwhile, Tovera said six other Chinese nationals were also arrested for operating what appeared to be a “hub” or “POGO-like office” without proper documentation.

“Together with the two primary suspects, there were six other Chinese nationals operating what looked like a hub or POGO-like office,” he said.

Authorities have applied for a warrant to seize computers found at the scene.

“Our digital forensic team determined clear violations of Philippine law. All items used by this group or syndicate were seized and presented to the court,” Tovera said.—MCG, GMA Integrated News