Marcos: 13 more pumping stations to be built in Metro Manila by 2027
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Thursday said the government will build 13 additional pumping stations around Metro Manila.
“We are installing additional pumping stations and those pumping stations [will be] in and around Manila,” Marcos said in an ambush interview following an inspection at the Tripa de Gallina Pumping Station in Pasay City.
He said said most of the stations should be in place by the end of 2026 or by the beginning of 2027.
The President, however, said this does not address the country’s problem with garbage.
“That is why we are here trying to find ways to dispose of the garbage in an environmentally friendly way. That’s why they are creating compost. None of the organic waste goes to waste,” Marcos said.
In a press briefing, Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro said Marcos has directed the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to finish the upgrades of the pumping station.
She said the Tripa De Gallina Pumping Station was built in 1976.
“Papalitan na ang mga lumang pump para pataasin ang mga kapasidad nito na magpaagos ng tubig at gawing mas energy efficient ang operasyon ng pasilidad,” she said.
(The old pumps will be replaced to increase their water-pumping capacity and make the facility’s operations more energy-efficient.)
“Maglalagay din ng automated trash rakes para maiwasan ang pagbara ng waterways dahil sa mga naipong basura,” she added.
(Automated trash rakes will also be installed to prevent waterways from being clogged by accumulated garbage.)
Aside from this, Castro said the DPWH was tasked to continue its clearing operations of waterways through the Oplan Kontra Baha and Bayanihan sa Estero Program.
Meanwhile, Castro said Marcos held a situation briefing with various agencies on Wednesday regarding the flooding incidents in several parts of the country.
She said the President pushed for the government to look into the creation of rainwater cisterns.
At present, Castro said there are 39 priority sites across Metro Manila.
These are the cities of Parañaque, Quezon City, San Juan, Navotas, Pasay, Malabon, Las Piñas and the municipality of Pateros among others, according to Castro.
“So far ito po ang napili na sana ay walang maging balakid para maipatupad ang proyekto para magkaroon tayo ng mga lugar kung saan pwede maipon, pansamantala, ang tubig ulan para hindi umapaw sa daan,” she said.
(So far, this is what has been chosen, and hopefully there will be no obstacles to implementing the project so that we can have areas where rainwater can be temporarily collected to prevent it from overflowing onto the roads.)
Castro said that the detailed engineering of the project is expected to be finished this month.
Aside from this, the Palace official said Marcos urged a study into how water from the rainwater cisterns may be used.
“Ayaw ng Pangulo na mai-pump out lang ang maiipong tubig ulan kung hindi dapat magamit ito sa panahon ng tagtuyot,” Castro said.
(The President does not want the collected rainwater to simply be pumped out; instead, it should be used during the dry season.)
According to Castro, the government is also looking into upgrading seawalls, continuing clearing operations of waterways, and ensuring the continued operations of pumping stations.
Meanwhile, Marcos also said the government should study the flood control measures of other countries.
“Batay sa ulat ng ng pamahalaan, umaabot sa 201.7 millimeters o halos 50,000 olympic size swimming pools ang naipong tubig noong mga nakaraang araw dulot ng sunod-sunod na pag ulan,” she said.
(Based on the government’s estimate, the accumulated water from the consecutive rains in recent days reached 201.7 millimeters, or nearly 50,000 Olympic-sized swimming pools.) —RF, GMA News