Filtered By: Topstories
News

EU gives Mindanao P312-M ‘peace dividends’   


Financial aid is starting to pour into war-torn Mindanao, the latest of which is a $5.9-million (P312 million) grant the European Union turned over to the Philippine government on Monday as “peace dividends” to its people.
 
The money will help the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to implement the project “Enhancing the Resilience of Internally Displaced Persons in Central Mindanao by Strengthening Livelihoods.”
 
EU Ambassador Guy Ledoux signed the single currency-bloc’s commitment toward the project for two years.
 
Mohagher Iqbal, chair of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front negotiation panel, which inked the agreement with the government, praised this development.
 
“The MILF is greatly encouraged by the show of support for the peace process. This assistance will facilitate the work ahead, as we move towards achieving peace and development for the Bangsamoro.
 
“The MILF greatly appreciates the help EU has extended to promote peace in Mindanao, and to improve the living conditions of the people, especially the internally displaced persons,” Iqbal added.
 
The project aims to provide sustainable resettlement of displaced people and support in the longer-term recovery process, following the signing of the peace framework agreement last week that created the Bangsamoro autonomous region in Mindanao.
 
The project is in line with the EU “Aid to Uprooted People Programme” under the auspices of the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP).
 
Through the project the DSWD will help some 50,000 families or 300,000 people – displaced by armed conflict in the region – recover their livelihood.
 
“Through this initiative, small scale granaries as well as food- and cash-for-work activities will be implemented for agricultural cooperatives, farmers, and fishermen, and provide them with production, post-harvest, and value-chain support,” the EU noted in a statement.
 
“Projects such as watershed management, reforestation, and agro-forestry will be promoted in the interior uplands to ensure a better living environment for the internally displaced persons,” the statement read.
 
“Mangrove replantation and biodiversity restoration and conservation will be further strengthened in coastal communities,” it added.
 
Leading the program implementation is WFP in close collaboration with DSWD, Department of Agriculture, Department of Agrarian Reform, and Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
 
This support will directly address poverty alleviation for the poorest in Mindanao, especially during the crucial transition phase following the signing of the framework agreement, said Ledoux.
 
“As a major development partner in poverty alleviation in Mindanao since 1990, this grant is a strong re-affirmation of the European Union’s support to the development of Mindanao, and this will no doubt continue in the light of the recent peace framework agreement,” the ambassador noted.
 
“We are very grateful to the EU for their continuous assistance to WFP and its work in the Philippines,” said WFP Philippine representative and country director Stephen Anderson.
 
“As we know, the EU has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for advancing peace in Europe. In part, the EU in the Philippines is proactively promoting the Mindanao peace process through this significant and timely EU grant, which will enable WFP to help conflict-affected communities quickly recover and rebuild,” Anderson added.
 
The EU grant is on top of a P462-million grant in support the peace process in Mindanao that Ledoux announced last July and will cover the humanitarian, rehabilitation and development component of the International Monitoring Team (IMT) with EU as one of the major stakeholders.
 
This will also support local and international non-governmental organizations which make up the civilian protection component of the IMT.  — VS, GMA News