Kerwin Espinosa camp unaware of drug trade raps
The camp of self-confessed drug distributor Kerwin Espinosa on Tuesday expressed surprise at the filing of illegal drug trading raps against him and seven other people before the Department of Justice (DOJ).
"I am not even aware about it," said Leilani Villarino, legal counsel for Espinosa, in a text message.
She said they have yet to receive a subpoena from the DOJ for Espinosa, who is currently under the government's Witness Protection Program, to appear at the preliminary investigation slated to begin on August 14.
During the preliminary investigation, the respondents will be given a chance to air their side which the prosecutors have to take into account on deciding whether to dismiss the complaint or press charges in court.
No details about the complaint for conspiracy to commit illegal drug trading under Section 26-B in relation to Section 5 under the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 were provided by the DOJ, which received the complaint filed by the Major Crimes Investigation Unit-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group
(MICU-CIDG) on July 5.
Also on the charge sheet are suspected drug lord and Cebu businessman Peter Lim, detained Chinese drug lord Peter Co, Espinosa's bodyguard and driver Marcelo Adorco and his alleged hitman Ruel Manidlangan; righthand man Max Miro; Albuera, Leyte village councilor Jun Pepito, an alleged henchman for Espinosa; and Lovely Adam Impal, one of Espinosa's alleged top supplier of drugs.
Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II had already placed the respondents under the immigration lookout bulletin in order to monitor any attempt on their part to leave the country. —NB, GMA News