Former Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas II on Wednesday denied involvement in the #NasaanAngPangulo topic that trended following the Mamasapano clash in January 2015.
Blogger Rey Joseph Nieto of Thinking Pinoy claimed during a Senate inquiry that Roxas hired an “influencer” in 2015 to make the #NasaanAngPangulo topic trend to supposedly pin the blame as regards the Mamasapano debacle solely on then President Benigno Aquino III.
"Hindi ko kilala at wala akong kinalaman kahit katiting sa iyo, kay Joyce Ramirez o sa sinasabi mong Nasaan ang Pangulo. May ebidensya ka?" Roxas said in a statement.
"Deretso akong tao. Hindi ako pailalim kumilos," he added.
During the Senate Committee on Public Information's hearing on fake news, Nieto claimed that Roxas hired a public relations operator, a certain Joyce Ramirez, who had contracts with influencers
Ramirez is supposedly behind the #NasaanAngPangulo campaign.
“It’s a campaign that’s intended to pin down all the blame over the Mamasapano on President Aquino, apparently so that if Mar runs for president, he can be shielded from the bad PR,” Nieto said.
Roxas said Nieto's claim lacked logic since he had been angling for the former President's endorsement in the election campaign.
"Walang logic ang sinasabi mo. Bakit ko sya sisiraan eh inaasahan ko nga ang endorsement niya. Konting thinking naman, diba?" Roxas said. "PS, ikaw ang fake news!"
Aquino was criticized back in January 2015 when he was a no-show at the arrival honors for the elite policemen who were killed in the Mamasapano encounter.
He endorsed Roxas as his preferred successor in July 2015. —NB, GMA News