ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

DOH: Dengvaxia scare spooks Pinoys, affects immunization program


Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday admitted that there had been a decrease in the number of people availing of the government's immunization program due to fears brought about by the Dengvaxia controversy.

At the resumption of the House hearing, Duque said that reports from Department of Health field offices showed that there was a much lower rate of immunization coverage.

"I'd like to take as an example in Mindanao and Davao, in particular, where reports show that there is a much lower coverage for measles," Duque said.

The House joint committees on Good Government and Public Accountability and Health conducted an inquiry in aid of legislation on the Dengvaxia vaccine.

Its manufacturer French pharmaceutical company Sanofi Pasteur has earlier advised that Dengvaxia may cause severe dengue to patients who have yet to be infected with dengue.

Duque said people were even shying away from "benign" public health programs such as de-worming.

"Reports from the ground show that parents are resisting de-worming activities of DOH and so this is a cause of concern," Duque said.

"Just because of this one controversial vaccine, it has tainted the credibility the entire DOH immunization program," he added.

Duque said he had instructed health officials from the affected regions not to stop their immunization activities.

He also said the health officers needed to heighten their campaign as regards informing the public of the effectiveness of "tried and tested" vaccines such as those for measles, mumps, rubella, among others.

"I told them not to give up, continue to convince families and parents that these innocent vaccines of DOH continue to provide sufficient protection against illnesses," Duque said.

"This immunization program is extremely crucial to prevent possible fatal illnesses in the future. We are also looking at possibly incentivizing but we have to further study better uptake of parents," he added.

Sanofi Pasteur head for Asia-Pacific Thomas Triomphe, meanwhile, maintained that the Dengvaxia vaccine is "safe and effective." —NB, GMA News