Ex-GM Vitangcol willing to help Duterte admin in probe of MRT mess
Former Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT3) general manager Al Vitangcol III on Thursday expressed willingness to help the government investigate the alleged corruption involving the maintenance deal for the mass transport system.
Vitangcol made the statement after presidential spokesperson Harry Roque that he would refer Vitangcol to the National Bureau of Investigation to give his statement as regards the alleged anomaly.
"Katulad ng sinasabi ko dati, I'm always willing to help anybody in the pursuit of justice and in the pursuit of the truth," Vitangcol told reporters in a media forum in Quezon City.
He said no one from Malacanang had called to ask for his statements.
Roque last week vowed to disclose more details on the alleged corruption, saying two individuals who were previously part of the MRT operations have come forward to give information on the corrupt practices of a certain "Pangasinan Group."
The group, he said, extracted two-thirds of the P3.8-billion contract with Busan Universal Rail Inc. (BURI).
Vitangcol said his knowledge about the allegations were already included in his affidavits.
"Ang sagot ko diyan, nakalagay na yan sa mga affidavit ko. Ngayon, kung ako ay magsasalita dito at sasabihin ko yung detalye, I cannot do that. Wala akong immunity. Yung masasagaan natin, I'm sure kakasuhan ako niyan," Vitangcol said.
The former MRT3 general manager indicated that former Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya was liable for the alleged irregularities in the award of the questioned maintenance contract.
"Sino ang nakapirma sa notice of award? Si Abaya. So how can you say na nagbigay ng benepisyo si Vitangcol doon sa mga maintenance providers?" Viitangcol said.
Vitangcol said the burden to show proof on the case was with the complainant and the prosecutors.
"I will not be the one to prove that. Yung magco-complain, they will have to prove that," Vitangcol said.
"Kung ano yung alam ko, yun lang ang pwede kong sabihin. Yung pag-prove ng case, it's up to the prosecutors," he added.
Vitangcol is facing charges before the Sandiganbayan over his alleged attempt to extort $30 million from representatives of Czech firm Inekon and irregularities in the transit system's interim maintenance contract during his term as MRT general manager. —NB, GMA News