ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Sanchez's kin to Duterte: Do not hinder his release


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

The family of rape and murder convict, former Calauan, Laguna Mayor Antonio Sanchez, on Tuesday appealed to President Rodrigo Duterte not to block his release from New Bilibid Prison.

"Humihiling kami kay Presidente. Tulungan niyo po kami, ang pamilya namin, na mahanap po ang buong katotohanan sa kasong ito. Tulungan niyo po kami. Wala po talagang kasalanan ang asawa ko. Maawa na po kayo Mr. President," said Elvie Sanchez, wife of the former mayor, in a report by John Consulta in GMA's 24 Oras.

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo last week said that Sanchez was "ineligible and disqualified" from availing the benefits of the good conduct time allowance because he was convicted of a heinous crime.

"Mr. Sanchez, under Republic Act 10592, is not eligible. So the President, as the chief enforcer of the law, will have to follow the law," Panelo said.

RA 10592 was an amendment to the Revised Penal Code in 2013 which provides for the good conduct time allowance (GCTA).

A recent Supreme Court decision gave it a retroactive application which means that other cases that happened before 2013 may also be covered by the said law. 

Sanchez's wife, on the other hand, claimed that her husband has been singled out.

"Nang dahil sa batas na 10592, hindi naman kami ang gumawa nung batas. Sila ang gumawa ng batas na 'yan. Iginalang namin ang batas dahil sinasabi nilang 'yan ay batas tapos pinipilit nilang balewalain ang batas na 'yan dahil lang sa asawa ko na sini-single out nila," she said.

Meanwhile, Elvie said that she understands the sentiments of the bereaved families of victims Eileen Sarmenta and Allan Gomez but urged them to open their minds regarding the case.

She said the incident has also caused deep wounds on their family.

"Hindi ko naman masisi sina Mrs. Sarmenta. Ina din ako. Kung sa akin man mangyari 'yun, ganoon din, sasama din ang loob ko. Sabi niya, napanood ko, bumalik daw 'yung bangungot noong 1993 na nangyari sa kanila. Sobrang bangungot din ang nangyari sa amin dahil ang asawa ko hanggang ngayon 26 years nagdusa siya, wala siyang kasalanan. Lumaki ang mga anak ko, hindi siya kasama, gaano kasakit 'yun sa mga anak namin at pamilya ko," she said.

Sanchez's son, Allan, also hopes that their patriarch will be allowed to spend his remaining years with his loved ones.

"Ang daddy ko almost 73 years old na, may sakit na. Ano ba naman 'yung makasama namin sa kahit kaunting panahon," he said.

Sanchez was sentenced to seven terms of reclusion perpetua for raping and killing University of the Philippines-Los Baños student Eileen Sarmenta along with her companion Allan Gomez in 1993. —Dona Magsino/LDF, GMA News