ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Cayetano: Calling Build, Build, Build program a failure 'fake news'


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.

TAGAYTAY CITY --- Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon was "deceiving" the public when he called the Duterte administration's "Build, Build, Build" infrastructure program a "dismal failure," considering its present and future successes, Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano said Thursday.

In an interview with reporters here, Cayetano said that compared to previous administrations, President Rodrigo Duterte has implemented the most number of infrastructure projects, and they were done not for political reasons but to give Filipinos a "safe and comfortable life."

"Panlilinlang na naman o fake news ang sabihin na failure ang 'Build, Build, Build,'" Cayetano said.

"[Pero] puwede bang mas marami at bilisan? Siyempre. You can always say that if we make 10 [projects], ang target natin 10, we can go to 15," he added.

During the Senate plenary deliberations on the proposed 2020 budget, Drilon pointed out that only nine of the 75 flagship programs under "Build, Build, Build" have started construction.

"It is sad to say that the BBB program of the administration is a dismal failure. Out of the 75 flagship projects that were proposed at the start of the administration, exactly nine started construction. That is only 2% of the total,” Drilon said.

“We only have two years and a half left in this administration, I don’t think any substantial progress insofar as that program is concerned will be achieve. I repeat, the execution is simply dismal,” he added.

But Cayetano said Drilon did not account projects that are already in the pipeline and those made from scratch, which are more difficult to construct.

"For example, yung subway. Napakahirap gawin nun, from scratch ginawa ng administrasyong ito iyon. Pero before the end of the President's administration, two or three stations will be opened," he said.

The Speaker said a new House special committee will be formed to be headed by Tarlac Representative Charlie Cojuangco to oversee and ensure the speedy implementation of the remaining flagship projects under the "Build, Build, Build" program.

"So I'm confident of the 'Build, Build, Build' program. Ang problema nga, you can't build overnight. But this year, next year, and in the last year of the President in 2022, makikita niyo yung resulta ng 'Build, Build, Build,'" Cayetano said. —KBK, GMA News