Ambo batters Luzon, Visayas leaving path of destruction
Felled trees, knocked down power lines, ripped off roofs of structures were evident hours after Typhoon Ambo barreled across the country from the Samar provinces heading to Central Luzon.
Various reports from 24 Oras showed the trail of destruction, which some residents said was like a double whammy as the country was also battling the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Catbalogan City, Samar, a video recorded by YouScooper Kurt Devantes on Thursday showed that the harsh winds of Ambo had destroyed the covers of stalls in the market.
Due to strong waves, a ship anchored near the market had slammed into the port. Larges waves later caused flooding in the port.
Another video caught by YouScooper Renzel Copico in Oras, Eastern Samar showed branches of trees being swept by the strong winds.
Houses in another barangay proved no match against the rain and winds. A lone tree was saved from falling down by electric wires.
In Barangay Rawis, Can-avid in Eastern Samar, residents could only watch as the storm destroyed uprooted coconut trees and houses.
Many residents were also left without electricity and mobile phone signal.
The roads along San Antonio, Northern Samar were strewn with felled trees and other debris showing the typhoon's wrath.
According to YouScooper Victoria Pajuelas, the Catubig River in Las Navas, Northern Samar overflowed while roofs of houses were blown by the wind.
Quezon province
Ambo's sixth landfall in Quezon has electric posts in Gumaca swinging due to strong winds.
While evacuating residents, a barangay captain in the area faced another challenge after the roof of her house was blown away.
Trees and structures in the area were also damaged by the storm.
Meanwhile, around 1,000 families in Mulanay, Quezon were evacuated. The local government unit assured that quarantine protocols were being observed in evacuation centers.
Some Catanauan, residents were also evacuated.
Baler, Aurora
Residents of Barangay Sabang in Baler, Aurora have tied down the roofs of their houses in preparation for Ambo.
A resident said his house near the the coast had been destroyed thrice by storms.
"Wala, tali-tali lang ng bahay. Wala, eh, dito po talaga kami nakatira," Allan said.
Meanwhile, another resident called for help for alternative livelihoods.
"Sana naman po mabigyan kami ng pansin ng kaunting sinasabi po naming alternative livelihood para just in case po tumama o dumating 'yung panahon na ganito, na magkaroon po ng kalamidad, meron po kaming ibang pagkukunan," Milagros Imperial said.
Meanwhile, more than 80 families from coastal areas of Dingalan were evacuated as a preemptive measure due to the threat of a storm surge.
Individuals quarantined in Barangay Villa were also evacuated as the facility was stationed near a mountain that may be affected by a landslide.
Laguna
Strong winds and rain prevailed over Siniloan, Laguna as the eye of Ambo neared the area. Due to the incessant rains, the water level of Laguna Lake was also observed to increase.
In preparation for the storm, authorities immediately brought down tarpaulins from billboards.
Meanwhile, some residents left their houses and braved the storm to move to evacuation centers, including a 90-year-old grandmother.
"Nasa sentro kami ng palayan, eh, malakas ang ulan 'tsaka hangin. Ninenerbyos na. Nagsabi sakin, lilikas muna sa evacuation center," Elpidio Mariscar said.
Initial information from authorities showed that 76 families have evacuated from the 3rd and 4th district of Laguna.
Residents of Pangil, meanwhile, tied their boats to trees to prevent these from being carried away by the strong current while others brought their boats to the side of the road.
The Provincial Government of Laguna also reminded residents to follow protocols amid the threat of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Nueva Ecija
The city disaster risk reduction and management office of Cabanatuan in Nueva Ecija distributed rescue items and equipment as the city is one of the flood-prone areas in the province.
However, authorities have yet to conduct a preemptive evacuation in the area.
According to the Cabanatuan CDRRMO and PDRRMO, they are not expecting widespread flooding in the city.
Despite this, 14 evacuation centers in Cabanatuan have been readied for typhoon victims. Authorities said they will add five more to ensure physical distancing amid the COVID-19 pandemic. —Joahna Lei Casilao/LDF, GMA News