The Bureau of Corrections has confirmed that kidnapping for ransom convict Jaybee Sebastian has died due to COVID-19, a spokesman for the Department of Justice said on Monday.
Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete made the remark after BuCor Director General Gerald Bantag met with Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra.
It was reported over the weekend that Sebastian and several other high-profile inmates had died and that their remains had been cremated according to COVID-19 protocol.
In a statement, the Department of Justice said Guevarra has ordered the NBI to look into the circumstances as regards the deaths of the inmates. -Ma. Angelica Garcia/NB, GMA News