ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

ABS-CBN property protected by Constitution —Senator Sotto


+
Add GMA on Google
Make this your preferred source to get more updates from this publisher on Google.
ABS-CBN property expropriation ABS-CBN property Senate President Vicente Sotto III

Senate President Vicente Sotto III on Thursday said the law of the land protects ABS-CBN Corporation from plans of seizing its properties, which has been openly talked about by some members of the House of Representatives last week in a virtual meeting.

In a tweet, Sotto said private property is protected by the Constitution.

Sagip party-list Representative Rodante Marcoleta proposed in a Zoom meeting with other House members last Friday that ABS-CBN be evicted from its land due to issues regarding its title.

The land title issue was first raised during the House committee deliberations on the ABS-CBN's franchise application. The panel later thumbed down the franchise bid.

Sotto had said the media giant should prioritize the reconstitution of its land title for its property along  Mother Ignacia Street, Quezon City amid these talks of ejection.

Meanwhile, Senator Richard Gordon also believes their counterparts in the Lower House were "out of line" for discussing such matters after the ABS-CBN shutdown.

"I don't think they can confiscate the properties of the ABS-CBN without due process of law. They cancelled the franchise," Gordon said.

"ABS-CBN is free to own it. Hindi naman puwede agawin ang physical properties ng ABS-CBN. I think they are out of line there," he added.

ABS-CBN went off air since May 5, heeding the National Telecommunications Commission-issued cease and desist order.

The media company's 25-year franchise expired on May 4, pending the decision of Congress on its application for renewal then. —LBG, GMA News