Over 26k housing units for Yolanda victims to be finished in 2021 —DHSUD chief Del Rosario
Almost seven years after Typhoon Yolanda hit the Philippines, thousands of housing units have yet to be completed for affected residents, Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development Secretary Eduardo Del Rosario admitted on Wednesday.
During a Commission on Appointments' hearing, Del Rosario said there are over 37,000 units that were targeted to be built for Yolanda victims in Eastern Visayas alone.
"Ang naging total inventory natin na kailangan for Region 8 is 37,168 units. Of this number, 22,386 ay natapos na and awarded and occupied," Del Rosario told CA members.
"Ang ginagawa ngayon ng NHA (National Housing Authority) ay 26,177 units and all these will be completed by 2021, your honors," he added.
Representative Florencio "Bem" Noel then asked for clarification if the figure previously mentioned by Del Rosario of over 214,000 housing units for Yolanda victims are sprawled over different regions in the country, not just in Eastern Visayas.
"Para ito sa Yolanda-affected areas composed of four or five regions," Del Rosario confirmed.
Noel questioned why the housing units created in Eastern Visayas was short of the over 492,000 partially and totally damaged houses in the region.
"The submitted requirements from the LGUs were the basis of the Office of the Civil Defense to reflect that figure," he said.
Del Rosario said the NHA, an attached agency of the DHSUD, is depending on the budget being provided by the national government for any additional housing units.
"NHA comes in trickles, hindi naman isang bagsak para magpagawa ng housing projects in all areas," he said.
The confirmation of Del Rosario's appointment as DHSUD chief is still pending as of posting time.
Super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) caused widespread devastation in 2013, rendering thousands homeless. —KG, GMA News