Filtered By: Topstories
News

Sen. Bong Revilla's convicted ex-aide, Richard Cambe, dies of stroke


Lawyer Richard Cambe, former aide of Senator Bong Revilla, has died due to stroke, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said Thursday.

BuCor spokesman Gabriel Chaclag confirmed to reporters via text message that Cambe passed away "past 6 p.m. this Thursday."

"We can only confirm that he died of stroke. Initial investigation also shows no signs of foul play so far," said Chaclag.

Cambe was Revilla's former legislative aide and co-accused in the plunder case over the alleged misuse of the lawmaker's priority development assistance fund.

The Sandiganbayan in 2018 found Revilla not guilty of plunder but found enough evidence to convict Cambe and businesswoman Janet Napoles.

Cambe and Napoles were sentenced to reclusion perpetua.

Napoles is described as the mastermind of the scam.

The court also ordered Napoles and Cambe to "solidarily" return P124 million to the government. They are also perpetually disqualified to hold public office.

Immediately after his acquittal, Revilla posted P480,000 in bail bond for his temporary freedom on his graft case.

In 2018, Cambe was committed to the New Bilibid Prison after he and alleged pork barrel scheme mastermind Janet Lim Napoles  were found guilty of plunder for the misuse of the P224.5-million Priority Development Assistance Funds. —LDF, GMA News