NDRRMC: 156 reported dead, 37 missing due to Odette
A total 156 people were reported dead, 37 were missing, and 275 were injured due to the onslaught of Typhoon Odette, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Tuesday.
In its latest update, the NDRRMC said only nine deaths have been validated, including two each in Guimaras and Bohol, and one each in Iloilo, Negros Occidental, Bukidnon, Misamis Occidental, and Misamis Oriental.
NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal noted that they are coordinating with the Philippine National Police to verify the organization's tally of 375 deaths.
“We have a reported 156 fatalities that are still subject for verification as of this point, 37 missing, and 275 injured persons as a consequence of Typhoon Odette,” he said in an ANC interview.
Timbal added that the PNP tally may include “verbal items” and multiple entries of single cases.
The most affected areas were Mimaropa, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Western Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Caraga, and some parts of Bangsamoro, according to him.
Food, water, shelter repair materials, and hygiene kits are the priority assistance given to the victims, he added.
A total of 135 cities and municipalities reported problems with communication lines. Of which, 107 have been restored.
In its report, NDRRMC said a total of 1,113,373 people or 304,837 families were affected in 3,238 barangays in Mimaropa, Bicol, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, Caraga, and Bangsamoro.
A total of 417,186 individuals or 105,203 families were staying inside 2,526 evacuation centers, while 64,010 persons or 16,706 families were staying in the houses of their relatives and friends.
The NDRRMC said 5,847 homes were partially damaged and 337 were totally damaged.
A total of P162,878,949 worth of damage in agriculture and P225,307, 000 in infrastructure were reported.
Of the 286 cities and municipalities that encountered power interruption, 28 were already restored.
One area is still experiencing water supply problems, according to the NDRRMC.
Of the four airports that suspended their operations, three have already resumed. Eight domestic flights of the 25 suspended also have resumed.
A total of 122 seaports went non-operational due to the typhoon, of which 55 are already back. The NDRRMC said 1,551 passengers, 690 rolling cargoes, and five vessels were stranded.
At least 282 classes and 268 work schedules were suspended.
So far, the NDRRMC said, 12 cities and municipalities have declared a state of calamity—11 local governments in Agusan del Norte and one in Butuan City. —AOL/BM, GMA News