CIDG: Cases of missing sabungeros now at 8
The Philippine National Police’s Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) on Monday said they are now investigating eight formal cases of missing cockfight enthusiasts, involving 34 individuals.
“There are now eight cases being handled by the CIDG, involving 34 reported missing persons engaged in e-sabong within the period of April 18, 2021 to January 13, 2022,” CIDG director Police Brigadier General Eliseo Cruz said at a Senate hearing.
For the Case Number One, which involves the disappearance of six sabungeros who went missing on January 13, 2022 at Manila Arena located in Sta. Ana, Manila, Cruz said three witnesses have already surfaced and executed their sworn statements.
The CIDG director said a vital witness had identified six suspects while the two other witnesses named two more persons allegedly behind the disappearance of the sabungeros.
Cruz said the CIDG investigators were able to acquire electronic evidence such as CCTV footage and telecommunication subscribers’ information and traffic data that would support the testimonies of the witnesses.
“To ensure an airtight case for the prosecution of the suspects, the PNP legal officers and CIDG investigators thoroughly reviewed the sworn statements of the witnesses and other pieces of evidence, last March 18, 2022,” Cruz said.
“A case of kidnapping and serious illegal detention punishable under Article 268 of the Revised Penal Code was filed against the identified eight suspects and other John Does before the Department of Justice,” he added.
Last week, Interior Secretary Eduardo Año said a total of eight suspects in the disappearance of cockfight enthusiasts have been identified by the PNP. — RSJ, GMA News