At least 15 people were rushed to hospital after inhaling ammonia that allegedly leaked from an ice plant in Northbay Boulevard, Navotas City early Tuesday morning.
According to a report on “24 Oras”, Navotas Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (NDRRMO) said the incident happened around 3 a.m. inside the Magsimpan Ice Plant along M. Naval Street, Barangay North Bay Boulevard South-Kaunlaran.
Some residents of Barangays NBBS Kaunlaran and NBBS Proper complained of eye and throat irritation, as well as breathing difficulties due to the ammonia leak.
The NDRRMO reported that one resident died while fleeing his home. However, they are still verifying if his death was due to the ammonia leak because the victim also had a heart condition.
Based on the NDRRMO’s records, this was the third time in the last two years that an ammonia leak had occurred at the ice plant.
The local government ordered the closure of the ice plant while investigations were ongoing.
The management of the plant has yet to comment on the matter. —Mel Matthew Doctor/DVM, GMA News