52,000 people displaced due to Karding –NDRRMC
A total of 52,000 individuals evacuated from their homes due to Typhoon Karding, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday.
“So far in general, mukhang very minimal. As we speak , meron lang tayong na-evacuate na 52,000 persons,” NDRRMC deputy spokesperson Raffy Alejandro said at a public briefing.
(So far in general, the impact of Karding seems very minimal. As we speak, we only have 52,000 people who evacuated.)
He added that the NDRRMC was aware of the five typhoon fatalities in Bulacan, all of whom were rescuers, and the missing person in Camarines Norte.
According to Alejandro, there were power and communication interruptions in Quezon and Camarines Norte.
He said 43 ports had suspended operations due to Karding, with 2,882 passengers stranded at seaports in the Calabarzon, Mimaropa, and Bicol Regions.
Operations at these ports were expected to resume on Monday when tropical cyclone wind signals and gale warnings were lifted.
Meanwhile, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) had been instructed to repair the highway in Gapan, Nueva Ecija as sections of it were still flooded and not passable to motorists.
Several other areas in Nueva Ecija were also still flooded.
In its 11 a.m. bulletin, state weather bureau PAGASA said Karding continued to weaken late Monday morning as it moved away from Luzon. — DVM, GMA News