The delayed extension of the Light Rail Transit Line 1 (LRT1) to Cavite is set to start operations in September 2024, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) announced Monday.
In a statement, the DOTr said construction of the stations of the LRT1 Cavite Extension is ongoing, with the Dr. Santos station at 48.03%, the Ninoy Aquino station at 34.06%, the Redemptorist station at 30.17%, the Asia World station at 37.12%, and the MIA Station at 35.47%.
“So far, we are [on track]. This is the reason why we are here — to make arrangements with the LRMC (Light Rail Manila Corp.) and their contractors so that this line will be operational as scheduled,” Transport Secretary Jaime Bautista said.
“We are expecting that this line will be operational by September of 2024. I’m impressed with the status of this project,” he added.
The LRMC last month said the 11.7-kilometer extension was 73% complete as of end-August, with the trackwork installation halfway done.
The National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Board, chaired by the late President Benigno S.C. Aquino, III agreed in 2012 to bid out the LRT Line 1 Cavite Extension and Operation & Maintenance project under the PPP Program.
Under the agreement, the LRMC will manage the LRT-1 for 32 years, during which it will also extend the line by 11.7 kilometers to 32.4 km from the current 20.7 k.m.
"The private partner will undertake the design, construction, and financing of the Cavite Extension as well as the operation and maintenance of the integrated system upon completion of the project," the PPP Center said on its website. -NB, GMA Integrated News