The reported fatalities due to inclement weather felt in many areas in the country since January 1 has increased to 39, based on the latest report from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
In its 6 p.m. report on Tuesday, the NDRRMC said 12 of the reported deaths were in Zamboanga, nine in Bicol, eight in Northern Mindanao, seven in Eastern Visayas, and one each in Mimaropa, Davao and Soccsksargen.
Only 19 of the reported fatalities have been confirmed so far, the NDRRMC said.
Meanwhile, five people were still reported missing while 12 were reported injured due to the impact of the bad weather, which was caused by low pressure areas, shear line, and northeast monsoon.
A total of 1,941,146 persons or 475,983 families were affected in Cagayan, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol, Eastern, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga, Northern Mindanao, Davao, Soccsksargen, and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
Of the affected population, 88,660 individuals or 21,607 families were staying in 316 evacuation centers while 27,976 people or 8,439 families were staying in other places.
A total of 1,780 houses were reported damaged — 1,232 partially and 548 totally.
Damage to agriculture worth P833,075,135 and to infrastructure worth P430,487,624 were reported. The National Irrigation Administration also reported P25,610,000 worth of damage.
A state of calamity was declared in 85 cities and municipalities.
Assistance worth P102,126,967 was provided to the victims, the NDRRMC said. —Joviland Rita/KBK, GMA Integrated News