A total of 108 areas in six regions in Luzon have been placed under a state of calamity due to the combined effects of Typhoon Egay and the Southwest Monsoon (Habagat), according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Tuesday.
Based on its latest situational report, the NDRRMC said that these cities and municipalities were situated in the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
In Pampanga, which declared a state of calamity recently, 3rd District Board member Atty. Jun Canlas said at a public briefing that almost half a million people or 100,000 families in 232 barangays were affected by the inclement weather.
Around 6,000 families are staying in evacuation centers, he said.
He said more than P300 million worth of crops including rice, corn, and vegetables were damaged in the province.
So far, no casualties were reported.
Meanwhile, Cagayan Vice Governor Melvin Vargas Jr. said almost P1 billion worth of damage has been reported in the province so far. The local authorities continue to gather reports.
“Ginawa na po natin yung atin pong parte (We did our part). We declared a state of calamity,” he said at a public briefing.
“At the same time, to be able to supervise kung ano pa po yung kailangan nating tulong (what kinds of help are needed) whether in a form of urgent assistance or subsidy for farmers,”
Thousands of people were affected after their homes were damaged.
According to him, the corn farmers were the most affected sector after the impact of the bad weather.
Vargas said less than five people were reported dead in the province.
Despite Egay being able to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Thursday, the NDRRMC said that it, along with the Habagat, affected 2,452,738 people or 668,974 families in 4,164 barangays across the country.
The inclement weather also left 50,467 displaced people or 13,718 families in 736 evacuation centers, while 262,008 people or 63,086 families had to stay in places outside of evacuation centers.
Seven individuals who were previously reported missing because of Egay and the Habagat have also been found after the NDRRMC reported that only 13 people remain missing now.
Since July 28, the agency had noted on its daily situational report that 20 people were missing because of Egay and the Habagat.
Of the 13 reported still missing, eight came from the CAR, four from Cagayan Valley, and one from Ilocos Region.
The reported death toll, on the other hand, remained at 25—two of the fatalities had been confirmed, while 23 were still subject for validation.
The estimated cost of damage to infrastructure also remained at P3,510,282,156, while the agriculture sector had P1,965,320,443 worth of damage and losses.
There were also 41,591 houses damaged worth P344,000 because of Typhoon Egay and Habagat— 39,958 of which were partially damaged, and 1,633 were totally damaged.
The NDRRMC report said 70 roads and three bridges also remained not passable.
There were 108 cities and municipalities that had interrupted power supply, two had interrupted water supply, while eight others had disrupted communication lines.
The NDRRMC said a total of P153,900,517.83 worth of assistance was already provided to the affected regions.
Currently, the Southwest Monsoon is being enhanced by Typhoon Falcon, which will bring occasional to monsoon rains over the western portion of Luzon in the next three days. — RSJ, GMA Integrated News