The reported death toll due to the magnitude 6.8 earthquake that hit Davao Occidental on Friday went up to nine, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday.
In its latest report, the NDRRMC said eight of the reported fatalities were in Soccsksargen and one in the Davao Region.
Five deaths were reported in Sarangani, three in South Cotabato, and one in Davao Occidental.
Fifteen individuals were also reported injured.
Also, 450 people were given medical attention after they experienced hyperventilation and panic attack, NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said at the Bagong Pilipinas Ngayon public briefing.
A total of 12,885 people or 2,489 families in 43 barangays in Soccsksargen and Davao were affected by the earthquake.
The earthquake damaged 826 homes—729 partially and 97 totally—as well as 118 infrastructure, according to the NDRRMC.
It also affected the livelihood of 50 farmers and fishermen in Soccsksargen.
Three roads in Soccsksargen remained not passable.
The power supply in 21 affected areas have been restored.
Due to the earthquake, 14 classes and five work schedules were suspended.
Assistance worth P11,612,558 has been provided to the victims so far, according to the NDRRMC.
President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Sunday (PH time) tasked Philippine government officials to ensure that relief efforts for the victims of the said earthquake will not be hampered.
The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Saturday said it has deployed a total of 1,800 emergency personnel to assist earthquake victims in the Davao Region.
The DILG said all of its attached agencies have also been tasked to provide help in affected areas. —KG/RSJ, GMA Integrated News