Filtered By: Topstories
News

Marcos thanks US for giving $1.25-M emergency aid for Mindanao calamity victims


Marcos thanks US for giving $1.25-M emergency aid for Mindanao calamity victims

President Ferdinand ''Bongbong'' Marcos Jr. expressed gratitude to the US government for providing assistance to communities affected by the recent calamity in Mindanao, including a $1.25 million emergency support.

During her courtesy call in Malacañang on Tuesday, US Ambassador to the Philippines MaryKay Loss Carlson told Marcos that aside from the emergency aid, Washington is pleased to bring two C-130s from the Indo-Pacific Command (INDOPACOM), although it is not the cheapest or the easiest way to deliver foreign assistance.

“But when you ask and you need it, we are here. Teams come from USAID, JUSMAG and our team from INDOPACOM… just how impressive your own DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) is in coordinating the relief supplies,” Carlson said.

“There’s so much that can be done more efficiently through the mechanism that exists... but sometimes you just need an extra push and it is also a good demonstration of how good the alliance can deliver," Carlson added.

Marcos, for his part, cited the importance of Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) sites when it comes to disaster relief and response as he encouraged the American official to make full use of those facilities.

Marcos went to Mindanao last week and extended P265 million worth of financial assistance to residents who were affected by the rains caused by shear line and low-pressure area in the Davao region.

In the wake of these Davao floods, Marcos said the country’s infrastructure should respond to the needs of the present times. —KG, GMA Integrated News

LOADING CONTENT