Court enters not guilty plea for Bong Revilla over flood control raps
The Sandiganbayan Third Division on Monday entered a not guilty plea for former senator Ramon Bong Revilla Jr. in the malversation case involving the alleged P92.8-million ghost flood control project in Pandi, Bulacan.
This developed after Revilla refused to enter any plea during the arraignment, prompting the anti-graft court to enter a not guilty plea for him.
Revilla's co-accused, former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan First District Engineering Office finance section chief Juanito Mendoza, pleaded not guilty.
Earlier, their five co-accused in the malversation case also pleaded not guilty. They are:
- former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan Assistant District Engineer Brice Hernandez
- former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan Engr. Jaypee Mendoza
- former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan Engr. Arjay Domasig
- former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Bulacan Engr. Emelita Juat, and
- DPWH Bulacan First District Engineering Office cashier Christina Pineda
Revilla is present in the Sandiganbayan for his scheduled arraignment for the P92.8 million malversation case over an alleged ghost flood control project in Pandi, Bulacan @gmanews pic.twitter.com/Stjl9vBdz2
— Llanesca T. Panti (@llanescajourno) February 16, 2026
Allowed to appeal
Also on Monday, the Sandiganbayan announced it allowed Revilla and his co-accused Mendoza to appeal the Ombudsman’s decision to file a malversation case against them over the alleged ghost P92.8 million project.
In a February 13 resolution, made public on Monday, February 16, the anti-graft court granted Revilla and Mendoza’s leave of court which allowed them to file a motion for reconsideration on the Ombudsman resolution ordering the filing of malversation charges against them.
The resolution was read by Sandiganbayan Third Division chairperson and Associate Justice Karl Miranda.
“The Ombudsman is directed to resolve [Revilla’s and Mendoza’s motion for reconsideration] within 60 days," the court said in the resolution.
It also ordered the Ombudsman to submit the required certifications under Section 1, Rule 14 of the 2018 Revised Internal Rules as follows:
- submit within three days from notice hereof the certification that the reglementary period to file a motion for reconsideration as to the other accused has already expired; and
- submit within 24 hours from the date of the resolution of the motions for reconsideration of Revilla and Juanito Mendoza the certification that it has resolved said motions.
The anti-graft court, however, ruled that the court proceedings on the malversation case against Revilla, Mendoza and their five other co-accused will proceed.
“The court's Resolution dated February 5, 2026 is affirmed on the other matters. In the meantime, the proceedings before this court shall continue as scheduled,” it added.
Revilla and Mendoza’s arraignment was postponed twice pending their motions questioning the merits of the malversation case against them.
Last week, Revilla also sought the inhibition of Justice Miranda on the ground that the justice’s brother, Buenaventura Miranda, served as legal counsel former DPWH Undersecretary Roberto Bernardo during the Senate blue ribbon panel inquiry on the flood control mess.
Revilla’s motion for inhibition, however, was denied by the court for lack of merit.
Prior to Revilla’s motion for inhibition, Justice Miranda also disclosed his brother’s association with Bernardo and that he is a personal friend of Revilla’s lead counsel, Ramon Esguerra.
Last week, the Sandiganbayan Fourth Division on Monday also entered a not guilty plea for Revilla in the graft case he is facing, also in connection with the Bulacan flood control project.—AOL, GMA Integrated News