ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

Dutch police: Response to possible Duterte protests information-driven, ready to de-escalate


Dutch police: Response to possible Duterte protests information-driven, ready to de-escalate

A week before the International Criminal Court (ICC) confirms the crimes against humanity charge against former President Rodrigo Duterte, police in the Netherlands said their response to the expected influx of people attending the hearing would be “information-driven”.

In a message to GMA Integrated News, spokesperson and communications adviser of The Hague Police Kristianne van Blanken said authorities could not provide specific operational details regarding their preparations for potential protests during the ICC’s confirmation of charges hearing scheduled from February 23 to 27.

“In general, we operate on an information-driven basis. This means we take action, or not, based on the current information. Our actions are aimed at de-escalating any tension, if necessary,” van Blanken said.

“We take action when criminal offenses are committed, agreements are not honored, or road safety or the health of protesters, third parties, or emergency responders is at risk.”

Throngs of Duterte supporters have flocked to the vicinities of Scheveningen Prison and the nearby ICC since the former president’s detention by the ICC in March 2025.

At that time, local police prevented them from gathering in front of the prison’s open grounds following requests from the local community.

Since then, his supporters have moved to an adjacent road that they unofficially called “Duterte street”, where they have organized potlucks, vigils, and livestreaming. — BAP, GMA Integrated News