EJK victims' kin to attend Duterte ICC hearing, stage march
Several relatives of alleged extrajudicial killing (EJK) victims during the Duterte administration’s controversial war on drugs will personally attend the confirmation of charges hearing against former President Rodrigo Duterte in The Hague, Netherlands, on Monday.
They are also set to hold solidarity activities outside the International Criminal Court (ICC).
According to a report by Maki Pulido on "24 Oras" Tuesday, among those attending is Sheerah Escudero, whose brother was found dead with his head wrapped in packaging tape, hands bound, and multiple gunshot wounds.
“Gusto ko po tumayo sa harap ni Duterte. Ipakita sa kanya na totoo ako, totoo kaming mga pamilya, at hindi lang ako sa mga pamilya ng nawalan sa mahal sa buhay. Libo-libo po kami,” Escudero said.
(I want to stand in front of Duterte. I want to show him that I am real, that we families are real, and I’m not the only one—thousands of us lost loved ones.)
She will join other relatives who are migrant workers based in Europe.
More families had hoped to attend but were unable to due to limited funds and security concerns.
Activities, including a march to the ICC on the first day of the confirmation hearing, are planned in coordination with several human rights groups in The Hague.
A short program will also be held before attendees enter the ICC to observe the proceedings.
“Sa ICC po para sa amin ito yung lugar kung saan kami naririnig at nakikita, samantalang dito sa Pilipinas ang mga biktima katulad ni Ephraim, binabaligtad po sila, sinisisi pa kung bakit sila namatay,” Escudero added.
(For us, the ICC is where we are truly heard and seen. In the Philippines, victims like my brother are blamed, and their deaths are even justified.)
ICC Assistant to Counsel Kristina Conti said the hearing is expected to last up to three hours per day in consideration of Duterte’s health.
Time constraints may prevent prosecutors from presenting witnesses during the confirmation stage, despite Pre-Trial Chamber authorization last year.
Alleged Davao Death Squad members Edgar Matobato and Arturo Lascañas previously testified before the ICC, claiming that Duterte ordered the killings.
“Usually itong mga insider witness ay kabahagi ng plano, posibleng down the line, lower rank sila, mababa sa hierarchy pero willing na mag-come forward ngayon. Kaya ito ang uri ng mga witnesses na pwede nating asahan sa ICC,” Conti explained.
(Usually, these insider witnesses were part of the plan, often lower in the hierarchy, but are now willing to come forward. These are the types of witnesses we may expect at the ICC.)—MCG, GMA Integrated News