ADVERTISEMENT
Filtered By: Topstories
News

NBI probes vlogger over spread of fake Marcos medical records


The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Wednesday it is examining the statement of vlogger Jason Argota, who allegedly circulated fake and unauthorized medical records of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

NBI Director Lito Magno said Argota appeared before the agency in compliance with a subpoena and submitted a statement that remains under investigation.

“He honored the subpoena issued to him. Nagbigay naman siya ng statement. Under investigation pa naman yun (He gave his statement and the case is under investigation),” NBI Director Lito Magno told reporters.

The NBI earlier announced it had filed a cyberlibel complaint against former broadcaster Jay Sonza and social media personality Eric Celiz for allegedly spreading false medical information about the President.

Magno said the complaint had already been filed before the prosecutor’s office and clarified that Argota’s case is being handled as a separate investigation.

“Initially, na file na natin yung kaso before the prosecutors' office at nandun na yun at tinitingnan pa rin since this is a separate investigation,” Magno said when asked if Argota’s case is related to Sonza and Celiz’s.

(Initially, we already filed the case before the prosecutor's office, and it is currently under a separate investigation.)

He also reminded the public to exercise caution when sharing information online, warning that doing so could violate the Cybercrime Prevention Act.

In January, a document about the President’s supposed health circulated on social media, which Malacañang described as “fabricated and malicious.”

The issue followed Marcos’ earlier medical observation at St. Luke’s Medical Center due to diverticulitis, an inflammation of pouches in the wall of the large intestine.—MCG, GMA Integrated News